Top Ten Networking Tips
Networking is such an important part of doing business. Effective networking will inspire you, give you an edge and also help you build lasting relationships. It’s a fact, on average, 70% of new business is gained through referrals. It is also one of the most cost-effective ways to build your business. So, read our top networking tips and prepare for your next networking event.
1. Networking is about building relationships. Be genuine and authentic. People do business with other people they trust & have a relationship with.
2. You get out of it what you put into it. Do not join a group, never attend the meetings and expect to receive leads.
3. What are your goals? Have clear goals in mind. What are you attempt to accomplish by being part of this group? Make the goals include connecting others.
4. Networking is not selling. Do not go with the goal of selling your product or service. Go with an open mind and being willing to educate people when the time is appropriate.
5. Be known as a powerful resource, a connector. Be the one people come to when they want a professional.
6. Listen, listen, listen. Stop planning what you are going to say next. You will miss the details and may miss out on a great opportunity.
7. Ask open-ended questions, not just questions that elicit yes/no answers. This will get the conversation going.
8. Approach the person standing alone. Most people do not want to stand in a room by themselves. More than likely they will welcome the company.
9. Thank everyone who refers you or connects you. Recognition is powerful!
10. Prepare a self-introduction. Be ready to introduce yourself with a seven to nine second introduction, not a thirty second “elevator-pitch”. Make it slightly personal.